High Quality Content by WIKIPEDIA articles! No. 24 Squadron (also known as No. XXIV Squadron) of the Royal Air Force operates the C-130J Hercules C.4 and C.5 from RAF Lyneham in Wiltshire. The squadron was founded as No. 24 Squadron, Royal Flying Corps on 1 September 1915 at Hounslow. It arrived in France equipped with D.H.2 fighters in February 1916 - making it the world's first single-seat fighter squadron. By early 1917 the DH.2 was outclassed and they were replaced by the Airco DH.5. The DH.5 did not prove suitable as a fighter but the squadron used it in a ground-attack role.
Lambert M. Surhone, Miriam T. Timpledon, Susan F. Marseken