Alle Angebote für dieses Produkt
Über dieses Produkt
- KurzbeschreibungThe New York Times bestselling author of Silver Thaw returns to Mystic Creek for a new novel about a love that inspires the courage to start over...and the strength to reclaim a dream.<br>When Taffeta Brown was viciously betrayed by her wealthy husband, she lost everything-including custody of their daughter, Sarah. Now that Taffy has moved to Mystic Creek, Oregon, to start over, she unexpectedly meets the one man who might help her get Sarah back.<br>Barney Sterling, a local lawman, finds himself drawn to the lovely, guarded Taffy, but he's stunned by her proposition-that they marry immediately to improve her chances of regaining custody of her daughter. Barney takes marriage too seriously to commit himself to a woman he hardly knows. Yet soon his sympathies fall with the desperate Taffy, and pretending to be in love becomes the easiest part of the plan. But they have no idea what they're up against, or what they're willing to risk to make a miracle come true in Mystic Creek.
- AutorCatherine Anderson
- Seiten416 Seiten
- Gewicht198 g
- LeseprobeCHAPTER ONE<br>April 2015<br>The headlights of the county-owned crew-cab truck cut through drifting snowflakes to bathe quaint storefronts in flashes of gold as Barney Sterling circled the town center of Mystic Creek and then turned right onto East Main. Paul Kutz, better known as Pop, the proprietor of Antiquarian Books in the Mystic Creek Menagerie, had just called in a complaint about loud music keeping him and his new roommate, Ray Burke, awake. It wasn't yet nine, but Barney guessed that people on the high side of eighty went to bed early.<br>Reaching across the console, he crumpled the top of a white paper bag that held what remained of his night-shift meal, fresh from the ovens at the Jake 'n' Bake. He'd ordered three Italian panzarotti, small closed pizzas filled with tomato, mozzarella, and sausage. Now a dusting of confectioner's sugar clung to his fingers from the warm cream horns he'd been about to devour for dessert. The interior of the cab smelled of vanilla filling, yeast bread, peppers, and cheese, with a touch of his Polo cologne underscoring the lot.<br>A woman's voice came over the radio. "You gotten there yet, Barney?"<br>Doreen, a plump redhead and newly hired dispatcher, hadn't memorized any police codes yet. Nearly everyone at the sheriff's department was willing to bet that she'd still be yacking over the airwaves in plain English come next Christmas. It had become a sore point with most of the officers. Doreen used the names of individuals in town, gave details about complaints over the air, and pretty much broke all the FCC regulations in every other way as well. Barney knew that the sheriff had been in a pinch for a new dispatcher when he hired Doreen, and the man had probably anticipated that she'd apply herself to learning how to do her job, but so far she just wasn't getting it.<br>In such a small town, certain informalities over the radio did occur, but Doreen carried informality to a whole new level. Anyone out there with a police scanner could listen and learn particulars about other townspeople that they had no business knowing.<br>"You'd better get your only bullet out of your pocket and load your weapon, Deputy," she said with a laugh. "This might get sticky. Kutz just called again, madder than a wet hen. He says that Taffeta Brown's music is turned up so loud that it's vibrating his walls clear across the street and Ray is about to go ballistic."<br>Barney didn't care for Doreen, partly because she didn't know much of anything about being a dispatcher and also because she kept a wad of bubble gum wedged between her teeth and cheek. But the biggest thing about her that ticked him off was that she wouldn't stop razzing him with Deputy Barney Fife jokes
Hier sparen: Sprache & Literatur
- EUR 10,98Preistendenz: EUR 12,12
- EUR 24,00Preistendenz: EUR 28,17
- EUR 39,95Preistendenz: EUR 49,47
- EUR 26,95Preistendenz: EUR 39,95
- EUR 13,48Preistendenz: EUR 15,49
- EUR 34,89Preistendenz: EUR 49,99
Dieser Artikel gehört nicht auf diese Seite.
Vielen Dank. Wir kümmern uns darum.