Alle Angebote für dieses Produkt
Über dieses Produkt
- KurzbeschreibungThe Foundation novels of Isaac Asimov are one of the great masterworks of science fiction. Unsurpassed for their unique blend of nonstop action, daring ideas, and extensive world-building, they chronicle the struggle of a courageous group of men and women to preserve humanity's light against an inexorable tide of darkness and violence.<br>Led by its founding father, the great psychohistorian Hari Seldon, and taking advantage of its superior science and technology, the Foundation has survived the greed and barbarism of its neighboring warrior-planets. Yet now it must face the Empire-still the mightiest force in the Galaxy even in its death throes. When an ambitious general determined to restore the Empire's glory turns the vast Imperial fleet toward the Foundation, the only hope for the small planet of scholars and scientists lies in the prophecies of Hari Seldon.<br>But not even Hari Seldon could have predicted the birth of the extraordinary creature called The Mule-a mutant intelligence with a power greater than a dozen battle fleets...a power that can turn the strongest-willed human into an obedient slave.
- AutorIsaac Asimov
- SerieBantam Books
- VerlagRandom House LCC US
- Seiten304 Seiten
- Gewicht162 g
- LeseprobeBEL RIOSE. . . . In his relatively short career, Riose earned the title of "The Last of the Imperials" and earned it well. A study of his campaigns reveals him to be the equal of Peurifoy in strategic ability and his superior perhaps in his ability to handle men. That he was born in the days of the decline of Empire made it all but impossible for him to equal Peurifoy's record as a conqueror. Yet he had his chance when, the first of the Empire's generals to do so, he faced the Foundation squarely. . . .<br>encyclopedia galactica<br>SEARCH FOR MAGICIANS<br>Bel Riose traveled without escort, which is not what court etiquette prescribes for the head of a fleet stationed in a yet-sullen stellar system on the Marches of the Galactic Empire.<br>But Bel Riose was young and energetic--energetic enough to be sent as near the end of the universe as possible by an unemotional and calculating court--and curious besides. Strange and improbable tales fancifully repeated by hundreds and murkily known to thousands intrigued the last faculty; the possibility of a military venture engaged the other two. The combination was overpowering.<br>He was out of the dowdy ground-car he had appropriated and at the door of the fading mansion that was his destination. He waited. The photonic eye that spanned the doorway was alive, but when the door opened it was by hand.<br>Bel Riose smiled at the old man. "I am Riose--"<br>"I recognize you." The old man remained stiffly and unsurprised in his place. "Your business?"<br>Riose withdrew a step in a gesture of submission. "One of peace. If you are Ducem Barr, I ask the favor of conversation."<br>Ducem Barr stepped aside and in the interior of the house the walls glowed into life. The general entered into daylight.<br>He touched the wall of the study, then stared at his fingertips. "You have this on Siwenna?"<br>Barr smiled thinly. "Not elsewhere, I believe. I keep this in repair myself as well as I can. I must apologize for your wait at the door. The automatic device registers the presence of a visitor but will no longer open the door."<br>"Your repairs fall short?" The general's voice was faintly mocking.<br>"Parts are no longer available. If you will sit, sir. You drink tea?"<br>"On Siwenna? My good sir, it is socially impossible not to drink it here."<br>The old patrician retreated noiselessly with a slow bow that was part of the ceremonious legacy left by the aristocracy of the last century's better days.<br>Riose looked after his host's departing figure, and his studied urbanity grew a bit uncertain at the edges. His education had been purely military; his experience likewise. He had, as the cliche has it, faced death many times
Meistverkauft in Science-Fiction
Hier sparen: Science-Fiction
- EUR 16,00Preistendenz: EUR 23,07
- EUR 9,99Preistendenz: EUR 19,24
- EUR 15,00Preistendenz: EUR 21,75
- EUR 12,00Preistendenz: EUR 13,81
Dieser Artikel gehört nicht auf diese Seite.
Vielen Dank. Wir kümmern uns darum.