Alle Angebote für dieses Produkt
Über dieses Produkt
- Kurzbeschreibung<p><p>This book offers a new study of the political and military history of the Greek Aegean between the Peloponnesian War and the Peace of Antalcidas. Following the career of Conon, the Athenian admiral who became commander of the Persian fleet after his city's defeat by Sparta, this volume offers a new perspective on a very important period of Greek history by examining the impact of the rivalry between Persian satraps in the affairs of the Hellenic cities, the development of new military practices and the linkage between war, politics and society.</P><p>Moving from an analysis of Conon's career in the course of the Peloponnesian War, Luca Asmonti considers the transformation of the duties of military commanders and their growing political and diplomatic responsibilities. He argues that Conon was hired by the satrap Pharnabazus to carry out a thorough reform of the Persian fleet inspired by the new 'grand strategy' which had developed in the course of the conflict between Athens and Sparta. Following Conon's activity after his return to Athens and his failure to give Athens a leading role after Sparta's defeat at Cnidus, Asmonti discusses how the Persian satraps used the politics of "liberty" and "autonomy" to stabilize the turbulent regions of Asia Minor and keep the world of the Greek city-states divided.</P></p>
- AutorLuca Asmonti
- SerieHistoria - Einzelschriften
- VerlagFranz Steiner Verlag
- FormatGebundene Ausgabe
- Seiten200 Seiten
- Gewicht476 g
Meistverkauft in Geschichte & Militär
Hier sparen: Geschichte & Militär
- EUR 16,95Preistendenz: EUR 17,20
- EUR 16,70Preistendenz: EUR 18,38
Dieser Artikel gehört nicht auf diese Seite.
Vielen Dank. Wir kümmern uns darum.