Alle Angebote für dieses Produkt
Über dieses Produkt
- KurzbeschreibungGeorge Wilson, M.D., a radiology resident in Los Angeles, is about to enter a profession on the brink of an enormous paradigm shift, foreshadowing a vastly different role for doctors everywhere. The smartphone is poised to take on a new role in medicine, no longer as a mere medical app but rather as a fully customizable personal physician capable of diagnosing and treating even better than the real thing. It is called iDoc.<br>George's initial collision with this incredible innovation is devastating. He awakens one morning to find his fiancée dead in bed alongside him, not long after she participated in an iDoc beta test. Then several of his patients die after undergoing imaging procedures. All of them had been part of the same beta test.<br>Is it possible that iDoc is being subverted by hackers - and that the U.S. government is involved in a cover-up? Despite threats to both his career and his freedom, George relentlessly seeks the truth, knowing that if he's right, the consequences could be lethal.
- AutorRobin Cook
- VerlagBerkley Books
- Seiten464 Seiten
- Gewicht227 g
- Leseprobe<br>This book is dedicated to the democratization of medicine.<br>PROLOGUE<br>T he insulin molecules invaded like a miniature marauding army. Rapidly infiltrating the veins, they rushed headlong into the heart, to be pumped out through the arteries. Within seconds the invasion spread throughout the body, latching on to receptors on the cell membranes and causing the cellular gates for glucose to open. Instantly glucose poured into all the cells of the body, resulting in a precipitous fall of the glucose level in the bloodstream. The first cells to be adversely affected by this were the nerve cells, which cannot store glucose and need a highly regulated, constant supply of the sugar to function. As minutes passed and the insulin onslaught continued, the neurons, particularly those of the brain, rapidly became starved of their lifeblood glucose and their function began to falter. Soon they began either to send errant messages or to send none at all. Then they began to die. . . .<br>WESTWOOD, LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA<br>MONDAY, APRIL 7, 2014, 2:35 A.M.<br>Kasey Lynch lurched awake. The nightmare had been a bad one, filled with progressing anxiety and terror. She was disoriented, wondering where she was. Then she remembered; she was sleeping in the apartment of her fiancé, Dr. George Wilson. She'd been staying at George's place two or three times a week for the past month, whenever he wasn't on call as a third-year radiology resident at the L.A. University Medical Center. He was sleeping next to her now. She could hear his soft, rhythmic, slumber-infused breathing.<br>- - -<br>Kasey was a graduate student specializing in child psychology at L.A. University, and for the past year she'd been volunteering in the pediatric department at the medical center. It was there that she met George. When she brought her pediatric patients into the radiology department for imaging studies, she immediately took note of George's easy confidence and his way with patients, particularly children. The handsome face and crooked smile didn't hurt, either. He was warm and personable, qualities she liked to think were part of her own personality. Just a mere four weeks before, they'd become engaged, although they still hadn't set a specific date for the wedding. The proposal was a pleasant surprise, perhaps because of her careful nature in all things "permanent," due to the reality of her health issues. But both she and George had been smitten, and they joked that the rapidity of their relationship was because they'd been unknowingly searching for each other for years.<br>But Kasey was not thinking any of this at 2:35 in the morning
Hier sparen: Krimis & Thriller
- EUR 10,50Preistendenz: EUR 21,17
- EUR 9,94Preistendenz: EUR 10,57
- EUR 8,99Preistendenz: EUR 9,56
- EUR 8,94Preistendenz: EUR 9,56
- EUR 8,61Preistendenz: EUR 9,49
- EUR 10,44Preistendenz: EUR 12,00
- EUR 9,00Preistendenz: EUR 10,28
Dieser Artikel gehört nicht auf diese Seite.
Vielen Dank. Wir kümmern uns darum.