Alle Angebote für dieses Produkt
Über dieses Produkt
- Kurzbeschreibung<p>Be it fate or happenstance, while perusing a flea<br>market, Cohrs came across a 99¢-copy of an old book,<br>The Thousand-Mile Summer, written by acclaimed<br>author, environmentalist, and backpacking icon, the<br>late Colin Fletcher. The book documents Fletcher's<br>adventure to walk the length of California from<br>Mexico to the Oregon border, a journey undertaken<br>in 1958. Cohrs was so inspired while reading about<br>this contemplative hike through the deserts and the<br>High Sierra that he decided to celebrate a 50thanniversary<br>voyage, retrace Fletcher's footsteps and<br>find out if he was right in stating that "this trip could<br>never be repeated". While researching and planning<br>the journey, serendipity struck again. Through a chain<br>of the most incredulous events, Cohrs was granted<br>access to Fletcher's belongings and was therefore able<br>to retrace the exact route based on the original maps,<br>notes, and hundreds of photos.<br>So once again, a walker set out to take a look at<br>America while comparing Fletcher's observations from<br>50 years ago with today's. Cohrs has written about<br>and photographed California's wilderness, its remotest<br>places, the freaks of nature, and the various experiences<br>and characters encountered along the way. The book<br>is laced with interesting facts about flora and fauna as<br>well as information about the earliest explorers and<br>the history of the places that both Fletcher and Cohrs<br>came to experience while passing through these less<br>visited regions of the state.<br>Among the highlights were those experiences that<br>occurred during times when his solitude while walking<br>in the vast wilderness overlapped with brief sojourns<br>in the small towns along the way. It was there that<br>he discovered the hospitality of the people, unfailing<br>good and kind and generous. Time and again when<br>he walked into a small town, he was a king for a day.<br>Perhaps the most unexpected encounter, though, and<br>a great inspiration were the lessons one learns about<br>oneself on an extended journey like this.</p>
- AutorAndreas M. Cohrs
- HerausgaberThomas Lindemann
- SerieLindemanns Travelbooks
- VerlagINFO Verlag
- FormatGebundene Ausgabe
- Seiten424 Seiten
- Gewicht777 g
Meistverkauft in Reiseführer & Reiseberichte
Hier sparen: Reiseführer & Reiseberichte
- EUR 24,99Preistendenz: EUR 25,59
- EUR 23,80Preistendenz: EUR 24,17
Dieser Artikel gehört nicht auf diese Seite.
Vielen Dank. Wir kümmern uns darum.