Alle Angebote für dieses Produkt
Über dieses Produkt
- KurzbeschreibungThe walls of Le Nuove prison in Turin are scarred by graffiti, bullets and blood. Opened in 1870, Le Nuove was one of Italy&8217;s first panoptical prisons. During the Second World War it was occupied by the Nazis, who executed and deported anti-Fascist and Jewish prisoners held there. In the 1970s it housed left-wing &8216;terrorists&8217;, who spearheaded violent riots that spread to prisons across Italy. The prison staff became targets and four were shot dead. When Le Nuove finally closed down in October 2003, the memories of the tragic events that occurred there became obstacles to its demolition.
Combining oral history, anthropology and micro-history, this book examines the cultural memory of Le Nuove via interviews, archives and the material traces left within the building itself. The volume examines issues such as the relationship between memory and place, forgetting, and the problems of a global cultural heritage increasingly focused on places of suffering. By following the architecture of the prison in her narrative, the author actively engages with the many layers of time competing to give meaning to the prison today, as well as addressing the hidden stories, myths and silences that condition any study of cultural memory.
- AutorEleanor Canright Chiari
- VerlagLang, Peter
- Seiten243 Seiten
- Gewicht390 g
Meistverkauft in Sprache & Literatur
Hier sparen: Sprache & Literatur
- EUR 20,00Preistendenz: EUR 21,15
- EUR 9,95Preistendenz: EUR 10,51
- EUR 16,99Preistendenz: EUR 17,26
- EUR 19,90Preistendenz: EUR 20,23
- EUR 22,90Preistendenz: EUR 23,96
- EUR 39,80Preistendenz: EUR 42,07
- EUR 39,99Preistendenz: EUR 42,28
Dieser Artikel gehört nicht auf diese Seite.
Vielen Dank. Wir kümmern uns darum.