- EUR 5,49Kostenloser Versand
- Artikelzustand: Akzeptabel
- Verkauft von sunrisebookshop
- Lieferung siehe Details
Alle Angebote für dieses Produkt
Über dieses Produkt
- KurzbeschreibungMitch McDeere, erfolreicher Absolvent der juristischen Fakultät von Harvard, bekommt seinen Traumjob bei der exklusiven Anwaltsfirma Bendini, Lambert & Locke in Memphis. Er stürzt sich in die Arbeit und hat Erfolg. Aber schon bald stellt er Ungereimtheiten fest: Den fünften Stock des Unternehmens darf niemand betreten, er selbst fühlt sich rund um die Uhr beschattet, zwei Kollegen kommen auf mysteriöse Weise ums Leben, das FBI zeigt Interesse für die Vorgänge in der Kanzlei. Mitchs Traumjob wird allmählich zum Alptraum. At the top of his class at Harvard Law, he had his choice of the best in America. He made a deadly mistake. When Mitch McDeere signed on with Bendini, Lambert & Locke of Memphis, he thought he and his beautiful wife, Abby, were on their way. The firm leased him a BMW, paid off his school loans, arranged a mortgage and hired him a decorator. Mitch McDeere should have remembered what his brother Ray -- doing fifteen years in a Tennessee jail -- already knew. You never get nothing for nothing. Now the FBI has the lowdown on Mitch's firm and needs his help. Mitch is caught between a rock and a hard place, with no choice -- if he wants to live.
- AutorJohn Grisham
- VerlagRandom House LCC US
- Seiten512 Seiten
- Gewicht250 g
THE SENIOR PARTNER studied the résumé for the hundredth time and again found nothing he disliked about Mitchell Y. McDeere, at least not on paper. He had the brains, the ambition, the good looks. And he was hungry; with his background, he had to be. He was married, and that was mandatory. The firm had never hired an unmarried lawyer, and it frowned heavily on divorce, as well as womanizing and drinking. Drug testing was in the contract. He had a degree in accounting, passed the CPA exam the first time he took it and wanted to be a tax lawyer, which of course was a requirement with a tax firm. He was white, and the firm had never hired a black. They managed this by being secretive and clubbish and never soliciting job applications. Other firms solicited, and hired blacks. This firm recruited, and remained lily white. Plus, the firm was in Memphis, of all places, and the top blacks wanted New York or Washington or Chicago. McDeere was a male, and there were no women in the firm. That mistake had b
een made in the mid-seventies when they recruited the number one grad from Harvard, who happened to be a she and a wizard at taxation. She lasted four turbulent years and was killed in a car wreck.
He looked good, on paper. He was their top choice. In fact, for this year there were no other prospects. The list was very short. It was McDeere or no one.
The managing partner, Royce McKnight, studied a dossier labeled "Mitchell Y. McDeere--Harvard." An inch thick with small print and a few photographs, it had been prepared by some ex-CIA agents in a private intelligence outfit in Bethesda. They were clients of the firm and each year did the investigating for no fee. It was easy work, they said, checking out unsuspecting law students. They learned, for instance, that he preferred to leave the Northeast, that he was holding three job offers, two in New York and one in Chicago, and that the highest offer was $76,000 and the lowest was $68,000. He was in demand. He had been given the opportunity to cheat on a securities exam during his second year. He declined, and made the highest grade in the class. Two months ago he had been offered cocaine at a law school party. He said no and left when everyone began snorting. He drank an occasional beer, but drinking was expensive and he had no money. He owed close to $23,000 in student loans. He was hungry.
Royce McKnight flipped through the dossier and smiled. McDeere was their man.
Lamar Quin was thirty-two and not yet a partner
Meistverkauft in Krimis & Thriller
Hier sparen: Krimis & Thriller
- EUR 22,90Preistendenz: EUR 23,30
- EUR 19,99Preistendenz: EUR 20,63
- EUR 14,99Preistendenz: EUR 15,17
- EUR 14,99Preistendenz: EUR 15,13
- EUR 12,00Preistendenz: EUR 12,39
Dieser Artikel gehört nicht auf diese Seite.
Vielen Dank. Wir kümmern uns darum.