Alle Angebote für dieses Produkt
Über dieses Produkt
- KurzbeschreibungMany studies have underlined the high prevalence of child marriage in Ethiopia, particularly in the Amhara region, and their devastating effects on the mental and physical health of the girls involved. This qualitative research aims to investigate the effectiveness of multimedia messaging including radio and print messaging, face-to-face group discussions as well as interactions with a radio station in altering people s perception of child marriage. By analysing reflection statements in group diaries, the study identifies changes in the Knowledge, Attitude and Practices (KAPs) concerning child marriage of a multimedia audience in three districts of the North Gondar Zone in the Amhara region.
The study contains a comprehensive literature review, comprising several findings regarding the magnitude of child marriage practices. Using the hybrid qualitative method of thematic analysis, it highlights important features and drawbacks of potential approaches to mobilising the community against child marriage. Moreover, a detailed description of multimedia intervention procedures is included, which can serve as a guideline for media practitioners and social development initiatives.
- AutorGetnet Eshetu
- VerlagAnchor Academic Publishing
- Seiten140 Seiten
- Gewicht242 g
- LeseprobeChapter 2, Review of related Literature:
2.3, Steps taken to Stop child marriage:
In general, early marriage of girls greatly affects the realization and enjoyment of virtually all of their rights. The imposition of marriage on children or adolescents who are in no way ready for married life deprives them of freedom, opportunities for personal development, health and well-being, education, and participation in civic life.
Ethiopia accepted international laws as well as developed local legal frameworks and implementing multiple intervention strategies including making partnership with international organizations to stop child marriage. One of such initiatives that Ethiopia accepted is Beijing Platform of Action United Nations, (1996) which is the cooperation and collaboration of GOs and NGO s to gender mainstreaming, advocacy, capacity building and creating grassroots women movements. Based on this many international and local NGOs are involved in different intervention activities including research, training and preventive measures. NPPE also encourage GO and NGO s involved in social and development programs that they incorporate gender and population content in their activities (Fikremarkos, 2008). WHO Media Center (2013), states that despite the fact that 158 countries have set the legal age for marriage at 18 years, laws are rarely enforced since the practice of marrying young children is upheld by tradition and social norms. Salih (2013), coating UNICEF advisor Malhotra said that laws alone have proven ineffective at preventing child marriage for instance countries like Bangladesh, India, and Indonesia have had minimum age of marriage laws for decades but still have under18 age rates of girls married 66.2, 44.5, and 22 percent respectively. Research findings indicate a significant number of persons who strongly disapprove of the child right violation practice publicly, but still follow the practice in their homes (PFI-Ethiopia, 2006). The study SCN (2011) also dismissed lack of knowledge of the consequences of early marriage as a reason for its continued practice. The UN Secretary General Ban Ki-Moon on WHO Media Center (2013), say that I urge governments, community and religious leaders, civil society, the private sector, and families - especially men and boys - to do their part to let girls be girls, not brides . Therefore, coordinated collaborative home grown measures should be implemented to mobilize communities change those norms and to stop it
Meistverkauft in Sprache & Literatur
Hier sparen: Sprache & Literatur
- EUR 15,00Preistendenz: EUR 15,30
- EUR 22,00Preistendenz: EUR 22,88
- EUR 14,50Preistendenz: EUR 14,79
- EUR 19,99Preistendenz: EUR 20,38
- EUR 19,95Preistendenz: EUR 20,64
- EUR 9,95Preistendenz: EUR 10,28
- EUR 40,00Preistendenz: EUR 41,59
Dieser Artikel gehört nicht auf diese Seite.
Vielen Dank. Wir kümmern uns darum.