Alle Angebote für dieses Produkt
Über dieses Produkt
- KurzbeschreibungNamed A Book of the Year by NPR, The Dallas Morning News , Kirkus Reviews , and Booklist
Instant New York Times Bestseller
An Entertainment Weekly 'Must List' Pick
"I really loved this book... I can't praise it enough."-Anne Rice
It was the summer everything changed....
My Sunshine Away unfolds in a Baton Rouge neighborhood best known for cookouts on sweltering summer afternoons, cauldrons of spicy crawfish, and passionate football fandom. But in the summer of 1989, when fifteen-year-old Lindy Simpson-free spirit, track star, and belle of the block-experiences a horrible crime late one evening near her home, it becomes apparent that this idyllic stretch of Southern suburbia has a dark side, too.
In My Sunshine Away , M.O. Walsh brilliantly juxtaposes the enchantment of a charmed childhood with the gripping story of a violent crime, unraveling families, and consuming adolescent love. Acutely wise and deeply honest, it is an astonishing and page-turning debut about the meaning of family, the power of memory, and our ability to forgive.
From the Hardcover edition.
- AutorM. O. Walsh
- VerlagPenguin LCC US
- Seiten336 Seiten
- Gewicht335 g
- LeseprobeThere were four suspects in the rape of Lindy Simpson, a crime that occurred directly on top of the sidewalk of Piney Creek Road, the same sidewalk our parents had once hopefully carved their initials into, years before, as residents of the first street in the Woodland Hills subdivision to have houses on each lot. It was a crime impossible during the daylight, when we neighborhood kids would have been tearing around in go-karts, coloring chalk figures on our driveways, or chasing snakes down into storm gutters. But, at night the streets of Woodland Hills sat empty and quiet, except for the pleasure of frogs greeting the mosquitoes that rose in squadrons from the swamps behind our properties.
On this particular evening, however, in the dark turn beneath the first busted streetlight in the history of Piney Creek Road, a man, or perhaps a boy, stood holding a long piece of rope. He tied one end of this rope to the broken light pole next to the street and wrapped the other around his own hand. Thinking himself unseen, he then crawled into the azalea bushes beside Old Man Casemore's house, the rope lagging in shadow behind him like a tail, where he perhaps practiced, once or twice, pulling the rope taut and high across the sidewalk. And then this man, or this boy, knowing the routine of the Simpson girl, waited to hear the rattle of her banana-seated Schwinn coming around the curve.
You should know:
Baton Rouge, Louisiana, is a hot place.
Even the fall of night offers no comfort. There are no breezes sweeping off the dark servitudes and marshes, no cooling rains.
Instead, the rain that falls here survives only to boil on the pavement, to steam up your glasses, to burden you. So this man, or this boy, was undoubtedly sweating as he crouched in the bushes, undoubtedly eaten alive by insects. They gnash you here. They cover you. And so it is not a mistake to wonder if he might have been dissuaded from this violence had he lived in a more merciful place. It is important, I believe, when you think back about a man or a boy in the bushes, to wonder if maybe one soothing breeze would have calmed him, would have softened his mood, would have changed his mind.
But it did not.
So the act took place in darkness, in near silence, in heat, and Lindy Simpson remembered little other than the sudden appearance of a rope in front of her bicycle, the sharp pull of its braid across her chest. Months later, and after much therapy, she would also recall how the bicycle rode on without her after she fell. She would remember how she never even saw it tip over before a sock was stuffed into her mouth and her face was pushed into the lawn. The crush of weight on her back
Meistverkauft in Weltliteratur & Klassiker
Hier sparen: Weltliteratur & Klassiker
- EUR 21,30Preistendenz: EUR 21,55
- EUR 19,95Preistendenz: EUR 20,76
- EUR 14,95Preistendenz: EUR 15,60
- EUR 12,90Preistendenz: EUR 13,42
- EUR 12,00Preistendenz: EUR 12,44
- EUR 19,99Preistendenz: EUR 20,71
Dieser Artikel gehört nicht auf diese Seite.
Vielen Dank. Wir kümmern uns darum.