Alle Angebote für dieses Produkt
Über dieses Produkt
Quite soon, the world&x2019;s information infrastructure is going to reach a level of scale and complexity that will force scientists and engineers to think about it in an entirely new way. The familiar notions of command and control are being thwarted by realities of a faster, denser world of communication where choice, variety, and indeterminism rule. As CFEngine creator Mark Burgess points out in this insightful book, the myth of the machine that does exactly what we tell it has come to an end.
Information infrastructure such as computers, storage devices, and networks are by now relatively familiar; however, each generation of devices adds new ways to adapt to changing needs, and what happens inside them during operation has influences that originate from all over the planet.
What makes us think we can rely on all this technology? What keeps it together today, and how might it work tomorrow? Will we even know how to build the next generation, or will be become lulled into a stupor of dependence brought about by its conveniences? To shape the future of technology, we need to understand how it works&x2014;or else what we don&x2019;t understand will end up shaping us. This book explores this subject in three parts:
* Part I, Stability: describes the fundamentals of predictability, and why we have to give up the idea of control in its classical meaning
* Part II, Certainty: describes the science of what we can know, when we don&x2019;t control everything, and how we make the best of life with only imperfect information
* Part III, Promises: explains how the concepts of stability and certainty may be combined to approach information infrastructure as a new kind of virtual material, restoring a continuity to human-computer systems so that society can rely on them.
- AutorMark Burgess
- VerlagO'Reilly UK Ltd.
- Seiten400 Seiten
- Gewicht644 g
Meistverkauft in Sprache & Literatur
Hier sparen: Sprache & Literatur
- EUR 20,00Preistendenz: EUR 21,05
- EUR 49,00Preistendenz: EUR 51,57
- EUR 9,99Preistendenz: EUR 10,52
- EUR 22,90Preistendenz: EUR 24,10
- EUR 39,80Preistendenz: EUR 41,88
- EUR 40,00Preistendenz: EUR 42,08
- EUR 14,95Preistendenz: EUR 15,73