Alle Angebote für dieses Produkt
Über dieses Produkt
- KurzbeschreibungThis revolutionary interdisciplinary study argues that Monet&8217;s artistic practices and choices were the direct result of his political stance as a nineteenth-century libre penseur, a position characterized by radical republicanism, a progressive social agenda, and fierce anticlericalism. His efforts to create a style reflecting his personal political code led him to produce paintings proclaimed by like-minded free thinkers as «a science being constantly perfected» (Gustave Geffroy), that is, emphasizing only observable phenomena in the immediate present through scrupulous, insistent on-site observation, capturing the raw data of sensations and sensory experience, and purporting to record a world free of embedded meaning. Darwin&8217;s world similarly comes with no prepackaged reassurance of humankind&8217;s privileged place in it; it is instead a space in which all varieties of organisms and species compete for limited resources in a struggle for survival. The Darwinian model of nature appears to have influenced Monet&8217;s artistic production increasingly as his style evolved over several decades. In opposition to post-Renaissance art that privileged the human presence in both representation and the viewing act, Monet&8217;s later paintings create a sense of virtual and visual equality among all observable phenomena. The human - and the viewer, by extension - is thus represented as neither separate from nature as a disengaged observer nor superior to it but rather co-equal with all other organic life forms surrounding it. This approach, while echoing Darwin&8217;s admiration of nature and its laws, also reminds humankind of its own fragility and the hard choices it must make to avoid extinction.
- AutorMichael J. Call
- VerlagLang, Peter
- FormatGebundene Ausgabe
- Seiten167 Seiten
- Gewicht370 g
Meistverkauft in Sprache & Literatur
Hier sparen: Sprache & Literatur
- EUR 20,00Preistendenz: EUR 21,27
- EUR 18,00Preistendenz: EUR 18,40
- EUR 16,99Preistendenz: EUR 17,36
- EUR 22,00Preistendenz: EUR 23,39
- EUR 19,99Preistendenz: EUR 21,24
- EUR 19,90Preistendenz: EUR 20,73
- EUR 39,99Preistendenz: EUR 42,52
Dieser Artikel gehört nicht auf diese Seite.
Vielen Dank. Wir kümmern uns darum.